Planning our trip to Mexico with a two month old, was a great challenge for these new moms. It was a grand success. Check out the photos at the end. Drumroll…here is what we packed:
- Infantino Carrier
- Travel bassinet
- diapers and swim diapers
- formula (pre-mixed or concentrate)
- birth certificate, parent letter and passport
- breast pads/washable inserts
- pump (we skipped this since I’m now producing enough milk on my own, with some formula top-ups)
- bottles and tops, enough to have spares
- lactation aide (we also skipped this)
- baby shampoo, creams (diaper cream, lotion, etc.), bug repellent (safe for babes)
- rashguard, swim diaper, sunhat and sun glasses
- baby headphones
- carseat, base (or learn to safely install without the base), stroller attachment
- changes of clothes for you
- I’m investigating, in advance of travel, to see if our destination stocks the formula, diapers and other things we like for baby. If we can avoid taking a week’s supply, that will really save on space
- Also, look up whether breast feeding in public is safe/legal/recommended in your destination
- Sleep Sheep or white noise machine
- medications (like Domperidone, for me)
- vitamins for you and vitamin D for baby
- coconut oil for sun protection for the babe
- a UV protecting cover for the stroller. Jolly Jumper makes a great one and Milk Snob has a great cover that doubles as a nursing screen
- Diaper cream and corn starch
- Baby paper and some simple toys (we ended up getting some beautiful, colourful pompom garlands in a market, which he couldn’t take his eyes off. These now hang over his change table! But careful that he isn’t unsupervised, as with anything that involves string)
- Nosefrida (for air travel and stuffiness)
- Infant Tylenol
- Gripe Water if you have a gassy baby
We upgraded our tickets and baby’s first trip was in Business Class.
For Clothes, we knew we’d have access to in-suite laundry, so we packed:
Shorts and pants
Short-onesies/rompers (this was the majority of the outfits)
Pajamas – for the plane and at night with the A/C
Burp cloths and muslin wraps
A knit jacket/sweater for air conditioned spaces and the plane
Copy of his birth certificate, immunization record, passport, health card
Swimming with baby was an amazing first.
Fanny pack, a carry on for us, carry on Diaper bag, small purse, big suitcase x 2 (one for us and one for all the baby stuff), a small suitcase of diapers and formula.
We made a call to set up/confirm our travel insurance/health insurance, etc.
We arranged a cat and house sitter, and also opted to use the Park ‘N Fly valet service (plus detailing) so we came home to a happy cat, safe home and a clean car.
Adios, Mexico and Gracias for a great first vacay with our blossoming family.
What are your travel must-haves? Share your faves in the comments!