It’s a new season, officially. It seems like the time is just flying. A few short months ago, I joined WordPress and started blogging about life, love and fashion. Then, just as the crisp temperatures started to creep in, signalling Fall’s arrival, I got a lovely note; I was lucky enough to be nominated for a Liebster Award! I’d like to send out a huge thank you to Autumn Updates (https://autumnupdates.wordpress.com/), you should check out her frank, on-point observations about the world – she has a really fresh perspective!
It’s really touching to see/hear that the blog I started for myself (to allow me a place to indulge in things outside my work life) has been a positive, fun, informative place for others. I love writing and definitely love fashion. I do these things for me, but if someone else finds pleasure in them, it makes things all the better. Accordingly, I love to see others who write because they love it – for the release, for the humour, for the sadness, the questions, the angst, the inspiration. And I never met a fashion collage I didn’t love.
For more on the award rules and my answers to Autumn Updates’ questions, read on!
So first, the rules for the Liebster Award are:
1. Once nominated make a post to thank and link the person that nominated you.
2. Include the Liebster award sticker award somewhere in your post.
3. Nominate 5 – 10 other bloggers who have 200 followers or less that you think are worthy of this award. Let them know you have nominated them by commenting on one of their posts. You can nominate the person who tagged you.
4. Answer the questions by the person that nominated you, and create questions of your own for your nominees.
5. Copy these rules onto your post.
My questions and answers for the ‘mini Q & A’ are:
- What do you love most about blogging?
I love having a personal goal that no one but me holds me accountable for. I wanted to write more. I wanted to put pen to paper (or at least fingers to keyboard) and find a place to visually and verbally express myself. I have so much to be thankful for and in life we sometimes get bogged down by what isn’t going right; here I find myself feeling immensely grateful – for the privilege of having a life where enough things are going right that I have happy things to write about – and when things are going poorly, I can channel it; writing helps me work through my feelings.
2. When you’re sad, what do you do to cheer yourself up?
I eat cinnamon buns. I drink wine. I make videos of our cats with my wife. I call my mom. I dance.
3. If you could be any Disney character, who would you be and why?
Ariel from The Little Mermaid, because I can seriously rock red locks, I love to sing and I definitely have thing-a-ma-bobs a-plenty.
4. Where in the world do you want to visit?
I have traveled a great deal and would love to revisit Brazil. I left pieces of my heart there. I have a list of places my wife and I want to travel to: Portugal, Iceland, Thailand, Peru, Australia… One day we’ll get to all of them.
5. What is your Starbucks order?
London Fog, Chai Latte, Vanilla Latte or… most likely a regular old coffee from anywhere… with almond milk.
6. What advice would you give to your younger self?
Keep doing what you do. It has been amazing reconnecting with old friends and acquaintances from high school and realizing that the way we perceived ourselves is often clouded by the fear that we will be judged. I conveyed a confidence that was pretty compelling, but felt like a bit of an impostor – constantly doubting and striving. I wish I had known, like I know now, retrospectively, that being a bit of a free-spirit and a bleeding heart, but being a hard-ass when it came to standing up for what I believe in and being willing to fight the good fight (especially where social justice is concerned) was something that would get me respect later in life. Respecting myself and my judgement, to try and do what I believed was right, even if it was hard, is something I’d push myself to keep doing. Lastly: keep holding out for love. She is right around the corner!
Big thank you to you, Autumn Updates. I appreciate the love!
I would like to nominate:
& the questions for my nominees are:
- What are the small things that bring you joy?
- What smell reminds you of childhood?
- Is there a song that evokes a wonderfully vivid memory for you?
- When do you feel most yourself?
- What is the biggest obstacle in your life?
- What can’t you wait to do in your lifetime?
I cannot wait to hear about all your amazing ideas. I enjoy reading and learning from you. Cheers to a great community! Thanks again to Autumn Updates, and best of luck in life and blogging!